Energy Performance Certificates for Holiday Lets – 1 April 2011

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) must be obtained for properties that are rented out as holiday lets with effect from 1 April 2011. Previously, holiday accommodation had been exempt from the legal obligation to provide an EPC.

Grimsby EPC provider Colin Childs from explained: "From 1 April 2011 an EPC will be required for a property rented out as a holiday let where the building is occupied as a result of a short term letting arrangement and is rented out for a combined total of 4 months or more in any 12 month period. For the purposes of this requirement, a holiday let is defined as a roofed construction having walls for which energy is used to condition the indoor environment. This does not apply to caravans, tents or mobile homes."

Holiday-home owners have until 30 June 2011 to obtain their EPCs before penalties may be incurred. After that date, Trading Standards will be able to issue a penalty charge of £200 per property where the owner has failed to provide an EPC.

Mr Childs said: "An EPC must be produced by an accredited assessor who will carry out an assessment at the property that typically takes 45 minutes to an hour. The EPC shows the Energy Efficiency Rating (relating to running costs) and the Environmental Impact Rating (relating to the carbon dioxide emissions) of a dwelling. Each rating is shown on an A to G rating scale where A is the most efficient. The ratings are accompanied by a recommendation report that shows how to improve the dwelling’s energy efficiency but there is no statutory requirement to carry out any of the recommended measures. EPCs are valid for 10 years and can be reused as many times as required within that period."